Lygath Reborn

A thriving world ruled by dragons and magic once existed. Man's quest for power eventually toppled all that was great and cast us all into shadow. Now, 1000 years later, the light returns and the inhabitants of the land and sea can once again rebuild. But they must remember the tales of their ancestors lest they call upon the shadow again.

Name:
Location: Glendale, Arizona, United States

Father, Husband, Gamer, Transhumanist, Warrior, Minister, Philosopher, Writer, Geek, Teacher.

Thursday, February 17, 2005

Progress

My website comes along nicely. On the technical side, I've figured out how to make FrontPage do what I want it to most of the time for several of the neat things on the site.
On the content side, I've been developing information specific to a campaign. Most of the previous work was worldbuilding, which is fundamental to the campaign, but does not really set the tone of the campaign, merely supplies the background.
Something I've started to do, which is an important step for me, is make characters. For the non role-player, any character that isn't played by a player is a non-player-character aka NPC. I've created a couple of NPCs that the PCs (Player Characters) will interact with and they will help me understand the world. (I'll post about world development in general later to help you understand statements such as this one.)
As I develop the NPCs and I start to get a feel for their personalities and motivations, I'll start to see the world from their perspective a little. For example, there is a character named Eliath. He is a young Goblin who has a strong hatred of Saurians (basically dinosaur-men). Now, I could just leave it at that and every time he gets around one, he mouths off or throws a rock at them. But if I understand the reason behind his prejudice, I gain more insight into him and the rest of the world. Since it's a role-playing game (RPG (acronyms save keystrokes)), I'll role-play it. I simply ask Eliath. "Eli, what's the deal? Why do you scowl every time I mention Streggen (who is a Saurian btw)?" Eliath answers "You know I'm a pretty easy-going guy, I like just about everyone. But when I was nine..." he rolls up his sleeve bearing an ugly circular scar on his forearm, "you see this hole? It went all the way through" he says, twisting his arm so I can see the exit wound. A group of Saurians drove a spike through my arm and into a tree down in Mudwhistle. They were preparing to eat me when a slug farmer chased them off." Looking around nervously, "you hear me? They were going to eat me!"
Ok, ok, I'm getting carried away, but you see my point. Now I know the background on Eliaths intolerance of the reptilians. Now it has some substance to it, and it's something I can use in the future. Also, look at the rest of the filler (aka me getting carried away), now we know there are slug farmers (what ever that is) in Mudwhistle.
Anyway, overall, the development is coming along at a pace that I am pleased with. Please check out the site and let me know what you think.

2 Comments:

Blogger Steven said...

I REALLY like your conversational style in your posts here. It makes the reader (well, me at least) feel that I am being spoken to, and not just that I am eavesdropping on someones private thoughts like so many Blogs make be feel. Not that I would MIND eavesdropping on your thoughts, but in reading about how you are developing Lygath, it helps me to acclimate to that world even further. Keep it up! Oh, and POST MORE DAMMIT. heh...

6:34 PM  
Blogger John said...

I have to agree with Steven here I really like the post and felt the connection from the writer to the reader (me). Job well done sir!

Oh and post more dammit!

7:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home